Saturday, July 11, 2009

Independance day weekend





So finally, after a year in the desert, we have ventured out of town to explore what the Pilbara has to offer. BW and myself packed up our new truck, the Nissan Patrol, thats about all I know about it and headed out after work on Saturday in convoy with 2 ozzys and a fellow Kiwi.
Dirt roads are alot different from the gravel back home, for one thing, you're not worrying about cows and roos jumping out in front of you! We were lucky enough to see them and not hit anything.
So we get to Marble Bar at about 7pm, they had a race day with bands, these things seem to be a big deal in a place that doesn't have a lot happening. It was dark, dirty and there were drunks everywhere, which I guess was to be expected - a lot of cowboys too haha
After delivering our fellow kiwi to her friends, the Ozzys and ourselves headed out bush in search of a good camping spot.
After a good 20 minutes north, we pulled off into a dry river bed - was this REALLY where we were gonna camp?! In the thick sand,we struggled thru,but the good old patrol made it to a spot that looked great in the dark. There was an eriy silence, I couldn't get over how different this was to Nz camping, no grass, no water. At least I hear snakes don't come out much in winter, and sleeping in the truck, I wasn't too worried about the dingos coming out either. So we lit our fire, Bw was determined to cook dinner over the open fire and succeeded, hotdogs wrapped in foil wasn't too hard a feat! A few marshmallows and a few drinks later, I was ready for BW to blow up the air bed and tuck me into my feather duvet!
Bright and early the next morning, after some more marshmallows and a bacon and egg bun on the fire we parted ways with the Ozzys and headed futher north toward Port Hedland...to be continued...

1 comment:

  1. I wonder where BW learned how to cook hot dogs wrapped in tin foil?

    ReplyDelete