Sunday, January 17, 2010

Karijini

So we went to Karijini a while ago now, I think it was about September, don't know why I hadn't written about it earlier, but anyway, I guess I was thinking about taking mum there if she comes over in July.
We arrived late one Saturday afternoon and once we' paid our entrance fee in the honestly box we found ourselves a spot to camp in one of the two camp grounds in the park. It's not like back home, thats for sure, no grass for one, it was so funny you just had to laugh.
It was so hot sleeping in the back of the truck, any later in the year would just be unbearable, which we should have learnt from when we decided to do it again in Hedland early December!
Early the next morning we were off to explore the gorges with Dales being the first and closest. It was a easy walk down to the waterfalls and smoothed rocks, I was on the look out for snakes, but I'm still yet to meet one. We walked the whole length of the gorge to Circular pool where wewent for a dip among the other tourists. That afternoon we took the 20min or so drive to Weano gorge and made our way to Handrail pool. It was a bit trickier to get there, people have died trying to get to the pool, but we took it pretty slowly and I even had to do some of it on my bum!
So we stayed a night at the Eco Retreat, but just in a camping spot, it costs about $200 a night to stay in a glorified tent on the Retreat. After a glass of wine and a cheese platter later at the "restaurant" we wandered back to the truck in the dark.
Definitely a must see in the Pilbara!

No comments:

Post a Comment